Joe Corish – 17U Head Coach
Joe grew up on Arlington, Virginia, having attended and played varsity basketball for Bishop O’Connell High School. He began coaching both girls and boys travel and AAU basketball teams in 2001 including Vienna and Chantilly travel teams at all ages. In 2002 he formed two boys AAU teams and has coached them in local and national tournaments throughout the past decade. Between 2013 and 2015 he was the head coach of the boys varsity high school team at Trinity Christian High School in Fairfax, Virginia. Joe practices law for Bean, Kinney & Korman, P.C. in Arlington, Virginia, focusing on commercial lending, real estate and corporate matters by day. His primary goals during the AAU season are to teach players how to play together as a team, continue to develop their individual skills, and stretch them to play beyond their comfort zone so they get the most improvement as possible out of the season. He wants players to learn to compete to their best ability and with their best effort at all times, and love doing so.
Jim Briody – 17U Assistant Coach
Coach Briody grew up playing ball on the playgrounds of Rockaway Beach, New York, Al McGuire’s hometown. He graduated from Georgetown University, where he played football for four years, and the University of Virginia Law School. He currently practices as a lawyer for Volkswagen Group of America and has been coaching basketball since 1999.
- 5 Seasons AAU Assistant Coach – Vienna Magic
- 12 Seasons CYO Coach – OLGC (8 seasons in Division 1 of 5)
- 7 Seasons OLGC House League Coach
- 17 Seasons as VYI Coach (8 Seasons at high school level)
- 6 Years OLGC CYO Basketball Commissioner
- 2 Years OLGC House League Basketball Commissioner
Giancarlo Pacheco – 17U Head Coach
Coach Pacheco is entering his 1st year as a Nova Cavs head coach. He previously coached for Team Ultimate for 3 years before making the transition to Nova Cavs. He played basketball at Paul VI for two years before transferring to WT Woodson and playing varsity for two years. He is graduating in December 2020 with a Bachelor’s degree in Finance. He is an aspiring Division 1 college coach. He is entering in his 2nd year as a manager for the George Mason Men’s Basketball Team. He enjoys teaching the game and hopes to do so for the rest of his life.
- North Regional Champion 2014
- VA State Semi-finalist 2014 & 2015
- 3 year’s head AAU coach for Team Ultimate
- Assistant Coach for Division Burke Travel
- Worked NCAA Basketball Academy in UConn
Parker Lamarre – 17U Assistant Coach
Coach Lamarre is entering his first year as an assistant coach with the Nova Cavs. He previously was an assistant for Team Ultimate. He is currently a senior accelerates masters student at George Mason pursuing a degree in sports management with a minor in coaching. He is entering into his second season as a manager for the Men’s George Mason Basketball team. He has also begun training local high schoolers individually using the knowledge he has obtained through being a D1 manager.
- Assistant coach for Team Ultimate
- GMU men’s basketball manager
- Individual trainer for high school athletes
- Played at Western Branch High school located in Chesapeake
Joe Sullender – 17U Coach
Joe Sullender spent the last 12 years coaching basketball in the area, coaching dozens of teams ranging from 2nd to 11th grade at various levels. Coach Sullender’s focus is on the fundamentals and man-to-man defense, as well as teaching youth the nuances of being a good team basketball player. Basketball is one of his life-long passions, he is very excited to start the season with his 16U team!
Bill Giery – 17U Coach
Daniel Gerke – 17U Assistant Coach
Former Madison high school varsity basketball player
2 years of NOVA Cavaliers playing experience
Doug Sawitzky – 16U Head Coach
Doug Sawitzky returns to the Cavs organization in 2021 after head coaching for 5 seasons in previous stints. Most notably he coached the class of 2017 NOVA Cavs from their 14U through their final 17U showcase season. Over the course of those 4 years, his team won over 100 games together with several tournament championships. Six players from Coach Sawitzky’s team went on to play college basketball, all of whom played with the Cavs for at least 3 years.
Coach Sawitzky has 11 years of high school coaching experience, including 8 seasons at the varsity level and 3 seasons as a JV head coach – all at George C. Marshall HS. During Coach Sawitzky’s time as a varsity assistant, the Statesmen won their first 3 district championships in school history (2013, 2018, 2019) and had two other conference final appearances (2016 & 2017).
Doug Sawitzky is currently a school counselor and JV head basketball coach at Marshall High School.
Dale Howell – 16U Assistant Coach
- Current Varsity Assistant Coach, Oakton High School
- Current Business Teacher, Oakton High School
- 4 year NOVA Cavs Coach
- Over 15 years of head coaching experience with Chantilly Youth Association
- Head coach of over 50 squads, with 10+ titles over that span
- Emphasis on skill development and fast-paced style of play
Ross Callaghan – 15U Head Coach
Coach Callaghan is entering his 6th year with NOVA Cavaliers and 3rd as a head coach. Coach Callaghan played 3 years of varsity basketball for Langley high school in McLean, VA where he earned Second Team All-Conference honor his senior year. He currently works at Freddie Mac in McLean.
- Three year letter winner at Langley HS
- Two year starter
- Second Team All-Conference Player
- District All-Tournament Player
- Langley and Fairfax summer league head coach
Seamus Maloney – 15U Assistant Coach
- BIO COMING SOON
David Young – 14U Head Coach
Coach Young is starting his second season with the NOVA Cavs. He has many years of experience coaching Travel League and AAU Basketball around the local Northern VA area.
Coach Young believes passionately in teaching fundamental defense. He is committed to teach young players about playing basketball with heart and strong effort, which will bring positive life lessons through sports experience.
He is currently a business owner and lives in Fairfax. He grew up in the Northern VA area and has boys the ages of 18, 15 and 12.
Shannon Byrnes – 12U Head Coach
- Current JV Head Coach Coach, South Lakes High School
- Current Reston Travel 6th grade Division 1 Head Coach
- 16 year High School Coach at South Lakes High School
- 2 years as Freshman Assistant Coach
- 4 years as Freshman Head Coach
- 5 years as Junior Varsity Head Coach
- 5 years as Varsity Assistant Coach
- 2 seasons AAU Assistant Coach – NOVA 94 – 9U D2 National Champions, Orlando
- Virginia Tech and Marymount University Graduate
- Current 6th Grade Teacher, Navy Elementary School