Ross Callaghan – 17U Head Coach
Coach Callaghan is entering his 4th year with NOVA Cavaliers. He was an assistant under Shawheen Dashti over the past two seasons. Coach Callaghan played 3 years of varsity basketball for Langley high school in McLean, VA where he earned Second Team All-Conference honor his senior year. He currently works at Freddie Mac in McLean.
- Three year letter winner at Langley HS
- Two year starter
- Second Team All-Conference Player
- District All-Tournament Player
- Currently attending James Madison University
- Langley and Fairfax summer league head coach
Mark Gray-Mendes – 17U Head Coach
“Coach Mark” is thrilled to begin his fourth season as an AAU coach with the Nova Cavaliers, having just completed his 11th year as a high school coach and his 9 year as the Head Coach at Thomas Jefferson HSST. He has been active in coaching high school players since 2002 and is firmly dedicated to the core values of hard work, discipline, leadership and teamwork that have guided him throughout his coaching career. He enjoys teaching players to “think the game” and to develop a high basketball IQ while building relationships that will last a lifetime.
- Current Head Coach, Thomas Jefferson High School
- 11 year high school coach
- 10 years as a head coach
- 6 year NOVA Cavs Coach
- University of Virginia graduate
Allison Gray-Mendes – 17U Coach
Coach Allison started her career learning from the best as a manager at George C. Marshall High School under Kevin Weeren and George Mason University under Jim Larranaga. Both esteemed coaches emphasized personal and team building as well as skill development which she carries into her philosophy every day. Allison began coaching with the NOVA Cavaliers as an assistant and supported operations to grow the organization leveraging her B.S. in Sports Management from GMU. She also works with the TJHSST men’s basketball program as an off-season coach, operations manager, and assistant coach. Coach Allison considers NOVA Cavaliers teams to be her family, she is thrilled to continue coaching alongside Mark.
Chris Martin & Greg Rowson – 17U Assistant Coaches
Chris and Greg both played for Coaches Gray-Mendes with the NOVA Cavaliers; this will be their first season in their new role as assistant coaches.
Chris Martin played at Centreville High School and NOVA Cavaliers for one season. He is currently a student at George Mason University where he works with the Men’s and Women’s basketball teams as a practice player and game day operations.
Greg Rowson played at Robinson Secondary School and NOVA Cavaliers for three seasons. He is currently a student at the University of Mary Washington where he plays on the Men’s basketball team. A regular starter, Rowson has earned several college accolades so far including VA State Rookie of the Year, Second Team All CAC (freshman year), and First Team All CAC (sophomore year).
Joe Sullender – 16U Head Coach
Joe Sullender spent the last 12 years coaching basketball in the area, coaching dozens of teams ranging from 2nd to 11th grade at various levels. Coach Sullender’s focus is on the fundamentals and man-to-man defense, as well as teaching youth the nuances of being a good team basketball player. Basketball is one of his life-long passions, he is very excited to start the season with his 16U team!
- 20+ teams SYA, Matrix, PSPA, Hoop Magic
Bill Giery – 16U Assistant Coach
- 6th year as NOVA Cavs Coach
Daniel Gerke – 16U Assistant Coach
- Former Madison high school varsity basketball player
- 2 years of NOVA Cavaliers playing experience
- Attending UVA currently
Joe Corish – 16U Head Coach
Joe grew up on Arlington, Virginia, having attended and played varsity basketball for Bishop O’Connell High School. He began coaching both girls and boys travel and AAU basketball teams in 2001 including Vienna and Chantilly travel teams at all ages. In 2002 he formed two boys AAU teams and has coached them in local and national tournaments throughout the past decade. Between 2013 and 2015 he was the head coach of the boys varsity high school team at Trinity Christian High School in Fairfax, Virginia. Joe practices law for Bean, Kinney & Korman, P.C. in Arlington, Virginia, focusing on commercial lending, real estate and corporate matters by day. His primary goals during the AAU season are to teach players how to play together as a team, continue to develop their individual skills, and stretch them to play beyond their comfort zone so they get the most improvement as possible out of the season. He wants players to learn to compete to their best ability and with their best effort at all times, and love doing so.
Jim Briody – 16U Assistant Coach
Coach Briody grew up playing ball on the playgrounds of Rockaway Beach, New York, Al McGuire’s hometown. He graduated from Georgetown University, where he played football for four years, and the University of Virginia Law School. He currently practices as a lawyer for Volkswagen Group of America and has been coaching basketball since 1999.
- 5 Seasons AAU Assistant Coach – Vienna Magic
- 12 Seasons CYO Coach – OLGC (8 seasons in Division 1 of 5)
- 7 Seasons OLGC House League Coach
- 17 Seasons as VYI Coach (8 Seasons at high school level)
- 6 Years OLGC CYO Basketball Commissioner
- 2 Years OLGC House League Basketball Commissioner
Giancarlo Pacheco – 16U Head Coach
Coach Pacheco is entering his 1st year as a Nova Cavs head coach. He previously coached for Team Ultimate for 3 years before making the transition to Nova Cavs. He played basketball at Paul VI for two years before transferring to WT Woodson and playing varsity for two years. He is graduating in December 2020 with a Bachelor’s degree in Finance. He is an aspiring Division 1 college coach. He is entering in his 2nd year as a manager for the George Mason Men’s Basketball Team. He enjoys teaching the game and hopes to do so for the rest of his life.
- North Regional Champion 2014
- VA State Semi-finalist 2014 & 2015
- 3 year’s head AAU coach for Team Ultimate
- Assistant Coach for Division Burke Travel
- Worked NCAA Basketball Academy in UConn
Parker Lamarre – 16U Assistant Coach
Coach Lamarre is entering his first year as an assistant coach with the Nova Cavs. He previously was an assistant for Team Ultimate. He is currently a senior accelerates masters student at George Mason pursuing a degree in sports management with a minor in coaching. He is entering into his second season as a manager for the Men’s George Mason Basketball team. He has also begun training local high schoolers individually using the knowledge he has obtained through being a D1 manager.
- Assistant coach for Team Ultimate
- GMU men’s basketball manager
- Individual trainer for high school athletes
- Played at Western Branch High school located in Chesapeake
Drew Smerdzinski – 16U Head Coach
– Bio Coming Soon –
Kevin Roller – 16U Assistant Coach
- Current Head Coach, James Madison High School
- 21 year high school coach– 12 years as head coach
- 6 years at Madison HS– ’17 Liberty Conference & Northern Region Champion
- 6 years at McLean HS– ’12 Liberty Dist. Champion & Northern Region Semifinal
- Johns Hopkins Univ. graduate, former college basketball player for Blue Jays
Chris DeSenti – 14U Head Coach
Coach DeSenti is excited to start his third year with the NOVA Cavs. He has 8 years of experience head coaching and assisting, including CYO and County youth basketball teams.
Coach DeSenti approaches the game with a development focus for youth players. He strives to find the right balance of developing confidence and individual potential, teaching them to apply their skills within a structured game plan, and up leveling the competitive level of team play.
David Young – 13U Head Coach
Coach Young is starting his second season with the NOVA Cavs. He has many years of experience coaching Travel League and AAU Basketball around the local Northern VA area.
Coach Young believes passionately in teaching fundamental defense. He is committed to teach young players about playing basketball with heart and strong effort, which will bring positive life lessons through sports experience.
He is currently a business owner and lives in Fairfax. He grew up in the Northern VA area and has boys the ages of 18, 15 and 12.
Shannon Byrnes – 11U Head Coach
- Current JV Head Coach Coach, South Lakes High School
- Current Reston Travel 5th grade Division 1 Head Coach
- 15 year High School Coach at South Lakes High School
- 2 years as Freshman Assistant Coach
- 4 years as Freshman Head Coach
- 4 years as Junior Varsity Head Coach
- 5 years as Varsity Assistant Coach
- 2 seasons AAU Assistant Coach – NOVA 94 – 9U D2 National Champions, Orlando
- Virginia Tech and Marymount University Graduate
- Current 6th Grade Teacher, Navy Elementary School